Apparently Lyla knew that she pretty much had me at my breaking point, because the last couple of days she has been a much better baby! Although, I am writing this before 5am, we just had a great night's sleep.
Sadly I think it is all due to me cutting chocolate out of my diet. She had been so fussy and gassy at night, so I got to thinking, what am I consistently eating that may be upsetting her? Chocolate and coffee were the answer. My next question was how long does it take a food to reach my milk? I decided it was easiest to cut out chocolate for a little experiment.
Well, two days without chocolate has equalled two good nights of sleep.
Anyone who knows me knows, that I am a chocoholic, I seldom go a day without chocolate. I keep chocolate chips on hand in the fridge for when my kids are stressing me out or for an evening snack. Eliminating chocolate from my diet is going to be hard, but if it makes for a happy baby, I guess it is a sacrafice I will happily make.
Can babies outgrow a reaction to a food mommy eats?
(Here's an article I found that proves my theory that she could be affected by the chocolate).
http://www.babycenter.com/404_are-there-any-foods-i-should-avoid-while-breastfeeding_8906.bc
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
It makes sense. She eats what you eat. You could go back to chocolate in a week and see what happens (scientific experiment).
My son is highly allergic to nuts, but I've never gotten a straight answer if it has anything to do with me eating nuts when I was nursing.
I oould try it again, but then I have to psych myself up for a sleepless night? I don't know what I like better at this point, sleep or chocolate?!?!:)
I was never this smart about what I ate when I was nursing my daughters. I just ate everything. I seem to remember something called carob chips that were like chocolate,but perhaps less caffeine. Good luck and hopefully more good nights!
Very interesting Claire. Good research. Speaking of breast feeding I spent the weekend with my cousin who has a 10 month old. My cousin has abstained from alcohol due to breast feeding.
Life without chocolate . . . or sleep . . . hmm, postmenopausal women have sleep deprivation, so I have adjusted to that! I understand your chocolate obsession; those wonderful endorphins! How long does Lyla go between feedings? You might consider having a teensy snack as soon as she finished feeding and see if you can sneak it past her. All this talk of chocolate is making me think about that Bunny I have stashed away since last Easter . . . sort of my life preserver!
Sleepless nights!!!!!! How I don't miss those:) It's amazing how fast we forget the labor pains, the sleepless nights, and let's not mention the breast-feeding pains. All it takes is that one cute, precious moment....and they have us wrapped around their little fingers:) The joys of motherhood!
Post a Comment