Spring

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Mommy's Frusturation

I know that while on maternity leave my "job," is to take care of the baby. My life is revolving around feedings that take a half hour, followed by a diaper change, if I'm lucky that follows by a peaceful hour and a half sleep or playtime until the next feeding. However, more times than not, this hour and a half involves long burping sessions, or walking/bouncing around the living room trying to get her to calm down.

On days that the boys don't go to preschool, I spend my time breaking up fights, driving them to the park, museum, or library. All of which, is time well spent, but there is no product to show for how we spent our time at the end of the day, which makes me feel unproductive.

Even though, I know, that everything I do for them is productive, I just can't help think that I am getting nothing accomplished for the day. I keep thinking that I am "wasting," time. I know I shouldn't get frusturated, it is just so hard to get out of the working mom frame of mind, where productivity is measured by grading papers, completing homework, ect.

Although, I do enjoy every minute of spending time with my kids, it is afterwords that I feel an overwhelming sense of stress, because I don't have my homework done yet, or I didn't get a chance to print that picture I wanted to put in the baby book, or I didn't get around to paying a bill.

Do all stay at home mommies feel such frusturation?

2 comments:

Sue said...

For heaven’s (or Claire’s) sake, take a breath and relax! Claire, your body is still in the post birth upheaval and your hormones have not stabilized. You may not think you have meaningful evidence of the time you have spent with the kids, but . . . they do! . . . they will have memories that you built together. “Little bit’s” needs plus the rest of the family can take the starch right out of your sails. If you have not done so, please consider an afternoon off to yourself . . . do something that calms you and gives you pleasure . . . and do it on a regular basis. Lyla and the boys can sense your fatigue and stress, creating a snowball effect. You truly will be a better person for taking the time to recharge your batteries. And how about the automatic swing, does that help calm her? Good luck!

faith said...

Claire:
I don't know how mom's do it, taking care of the children and the house and the husband and work and homework. But I do know that nothing lasts forever, and that the things that are difficult for you right now will pass, and they will be replaced with something else. The trick is to be easy on yourself, find the good in everything and cherish these moments if you can. They will be gone too soon.