Spring

Friday, April 8, 2011

Sick Kid

Grandma Debbie's first day here and Owen had a temperature of 103.5! It wasn't that high the whole day, but spiked that high by the time Gavin got home mid afternoon. I was on the phone with the doctor's office to try and get a sick appointment, as I was taking his temperature again with Tylenol in his system and it was even higher than before the tylenol. I informed the receptionist of how high the fever was, she consulted the nurse, and we were instructed to go to the Emergency Room. While Gavin was getting changed to take him, his temperature went back down to 102, even though I felt like a horrible mother I called the doctor's office back to see if we could just go there and avoid the emergency room. (It is the difference of $130) She again consulted the nurse and gave us permission to just go to the office.

Gavin took him because I had to tend to Lyla, he called later to tell me that he was fine and that it was just the flu bug. They said the fever could last 3-8 days, luckily it only lasted 2.5.



Of course, while Owen was sick on the couch, Max had to pretend he was sick too. Can you tell which one has the fever?

2 comments:

Barbara Bush said...

Which one has the fever?
I am afraid to guess. Lol
Glad he is okay.

Sue said...

I realize it was scary for your child to have such a high temperature, but kids are really flexible and tolerate a lot. I usually recommend parents alternate Tylenol and Ibuprofen, give lots of fluids (popsicles are great). Since the largest part of their body surface is their abdomen, cool compresses to their tummy and their underarms also help. They will complain of shivering, but that is their body's defense mechanism for fighting off the fever. WASH HANDS OFTEN, and teach them to COUGH INTO THEIR ELBOWS. I love the comfort effect of chicken noodle soup, too. Hope everyone else stays well.